Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A good day

Last Saturday I met back up with the Woodruff family in Utah and they talked me into going golfing with them again. I actually felt really good about going because I spent the morning watching Tiger Woods practice between his rounds. I felt like it was going to be a good day. I decided to buzz my hair because it was getting long and hadn't had a chance to get it cut. So I had a new haircut and felt good because I was channeling Tiger Woods all morning.

We went to play a course called Glen Eagle just a couple minutes from Lindsey's parents house. I had played it several times in the past and even though I usually play pretty well had never had the best of rounds when I was there.

We tee'd off about 1:35 or so in the afternoon it was a nice sunny day and it was kind of windy but not too bad. Scott (Lindsey's dad), Eric, Jeremy (Lindsey's brothers) and Lindsey's Grampa (Scotts dad) teed off first. We decided that Justin, Brett (Lindsey's brothers) and I would play behind them as a threesome. The round started out pretty well. I pared the first hole and made a 40 foot birdie putt on the second hole which was a par 3 for a birdie. I ended up hitting my drive in the water on the next hole a short par 5 but still managed to make a par. I followed that with two more pars and on the 6th hole I did the same thing hit a ball in the water but still managed to make par on the par 5. I walked to the 7th tee not knowing what was going to happen next.

When we got to the tee the group in front of us consisting of Lindsey's family decided that they would wait and watch us hit our shots into the hole. I later found out that Lindsey's grampa suggested it and Scott felt like maybe they shouldn't because they didn't want to hold any groups up. He almost insisted they just keep going but decided to wait and watch. Brett and Justin hit their shots first. I decided to hit a 7 iron to a back left hole. The hole was playing about 165 yards and with the hole being in the back I felt it would be a good club. I hit it well but at first thought it might be a little short. It was on a good line though. I saw the ball land and all of a sudden it looked like the ball disapeared. I heard the guys in front of us watching yell but just thought maybe it had hit the flag and bounced off. Then I saw Scott pulling out his phone and walking toward the green. I thought holy cow I think I just hit a hole in one. I gave a high five to Brett and Justin and then just went and got into my cart. I guess I just thought well that is pretty cool. Looking back I can't believe I didn't really start to freak out and run around or something. I think it was because I wanted to make sure I stayed focussed because now I was 3 under for my round. I called Lindsey as I was driving up to the green and told her. She was excited and told me congrats. I kind of hung up on her because I just told her I needed to go and give everyone high fives :)

Scott took some pictures on his phone.



Here is the picture of the ball in the hole

When I first got up to the hole I had to peak in just like you see everyone do just to make sure that it was really in the hole.



It was a pretty cool thing to happen. I had always said that I wanted my first hole in one to be with my dad or brothers and figure it basically did. It was awesome that the group of my dad and other family that was playing in front of us got to see it first hand. They said the ball landed and rolled in just like a putt. Didn't even hit the flagstick. I think everyone else was more excited then I was.

I also always wanted my first hole in one to be when I played a good round. I figured for sure that I would blow up with it happening so early in the round. I had to really try to focus because I was still shaking a little even on the next couple of shots.

I ended up making a bogey on 8 and a great par save on 9 so I shot a 34 (2 under par) on the front side. Eric went in and gave all our names and the info to the pro so he could call it into the paper.

On the back 9 the great round continued. I lipped out for birdie on 10. I hit a 5 wood on my second shot to 3 feet on 11 and made the putt for an eagle. I have never had 2 eagles in one round either. I hit it to 2 inches on 13 a short par 3. I was that close to a second hole in one. I birdied 14 so at that point I was 5 under for the round. I made a bogey and a couple pars and on 18 I was 4 under.

It is a medium length par 5 with an island green. I hit a great drive which wasn't good because it made me have to think about going for the green in two. Eric didn't play the back 9 but he was riding with me. I asked him if I should go for it or lay up and he told me don't be a woss and no guts no glory. So I hit a 5 wood and ended up just off the green. I chipped it to about 8 feet and ended up lipping out for a birdie so a par and a final score of 68 (4 under par).

I have had several rounds in which I shot 70 but never a round in the 60's. It has been a goal of mine for years. I told Lindsey that the hole in one was awesome and I will never forget that but even hackers can get lucky and get a hold in one. I was more proud of the fact that I shot the 68 because not everyone can do that.

It was a great day. I know this is a long story and probably boring to most people. I just felt like this is my one chance to write down my feelings about the day.

No comments: